National Park Service, Californian Cooperative Ecosystem Studies Unit
CESU Task Agreement J8C07110002 - Rebudget [Transfer of Funds]
All transfer of funds into or from any category requires the prior approval of Dr. James Eckman, the Sea Grant Director. The email rebudget request must originate from the principal investigator with copies to all necessary parties. It should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, addressed to Dr. James Eckman, and should include the following details:
- The relevant grant number: J8C0711002
- The Sea Grant project number;
- Your campus account and fund numbers and/or purchase order number;
- For each category requiring the rebudgeting of funds, include:
- Salaries – Indicate the total funds required for each employee, as well as the overall total. Provide a justification for the need to increase costs or an explanation of the remaining balances in salaries.
- Supplies – Identify the category (e.g., laboratory or marine) and include a dollar amount for each category.
- Equipment – Provide a description of the equipment to be purchased or leased, including unit cost and total purchase or leasing costs. Identify the purpose of each equipment item and how it will benefit the project or be used for the project.
- Travel – All travel must be in compliance with the Fly America Act (contact your campus Contract and Grant or Foundation office if you need further information). Domestic travel includes travel to all U.S. possessions or trusts, such as Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Trust Territories, Guam, and Samoa.
When requesting a rebudget to domestic travel include the number of travelers, to/from details, type of transportation (airfare cost per traveler, mileage rate/mile x number of miles), and total. Identify the purpose of each trip and how it relates to the project.
If a rebudget is needed to include a foreign trip or if the trip is not itemized in the originally approved budget, a written request with justification is required 45 days PRIOR to the trip. Foreign travel is NOT allowed and will not be reimbursed unless approved by the Sea Grant Director. Requests for prior approval of this nature should include the following:
- Traveler’s name;
- Dates traveled and destination;
- Hotel, registration and all other expenses itemized;
- Detailed itinerary of the travel including a pdf of the airfare quote or booking. The quote should include the name of the air carrier and flight number for each leg of the trip; and
- Completed Fly America Act Waiver Checklist if using a foreign carrier.
- Other – Identify cost categories such as communications, printing, publication charges, graphics, phones, computer time or usage, and total for each category.
- Indirect Costs – Funds may be transferred between direct and indirect costs if ALL of the following conditions apply:
- Approval is given by the Sea Grant Director;
- If the authorized transfer of funds and the adjustment of the amount of indirect costs do not exceed the approved total project costs; and
- If the indirect cost rate does not change; and
- If the adjustment of the amount of indirect costs does not result in a change to the approved scope of work of the award.
- The original and new budget by line item in a spreadsheet format as follows:
CategoryBudgetRebudgetNew Budget Salaries10,000-2,0008,000 Benefits3,000-7502,250 Supplies2,00002,000 Travel1,0002,7503,750 Indirect Cost1,60001,600 Total Costs17,600017,600
A sample spreadsheet is provided to attach to your justification.
Please allow at least 60 days for a decision to be made.